|SING BRIDGE (สะพานสิงห์)
|Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - February 2011
|Saphan Sing was an old bridge located on the city island in the Historical Park in Pratu
Chai sub-district. The bridge was situated on the present premises of the Rajaphat
Institute, south of Rojana Road.
The bridge in European style stood across Khlong Chakrai Noi, a canal which had its exit
on the (present) Chao Phraya River. The brick structure stood north of Wat Borom
Phuttharam and Wat Singharam.
The bridge is called Taphan Sing (ตพานสิง) or "Lion Bridge" on a mid-19th century
map. Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map of 1926 does not mention this bridge; likely there
were no remains left above ground level in the beginning of the 20th century.
The Fine Arts Department recently reconstructed the bridge, an arched construction,
over the remaining stretch of Khlong Chakrai Noi.
|(View from Wat Singharam)
|(View from the north)