|WAT HONG (วัดหงส์)
|Wat Hong or the Monastery of the Swan (1) was located off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya in Pho Sam Ton Sub-district of Bang
Pahan in Ayutthaya Province. The temple is located more or less opposite the Wat Dao Khanong school.
The temple was situated on the east bank of the old Lopburi River and on the north bank of Khlong Chang and in the immediate vicinity of the
defunct Burmese camp.
The monastery has been restored in the sense that the foundations of the different structures have been redone. No walls are standing.
The historical background and period of construction of the former monastery are not known.
The monastery probably had once a relation with Mon immigrants or captives. The Hongsa, or royal goose of the Burmese, is associated with the
half-mythical Himaphan (Himalaya mountain) forests. The Hongsa mythical swan lived on the Mujalin lake, a lake in the Himaphan forest. The bird
gave its name to Hongsawadi, the capital of Pegu. Representations of it, carved on the tops of high columns, are common in the temples of those
Siamese villages where live the descendants of captive Peguans. It is probably the same as the Hindu Hanasa, the bird which carries Brahma, and
from it the common goose of Siam has derived its name, "han" (ห่าน). 
We read in the Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya that King Borommakot (r. 1733-1758) offered land for settlement to the Mons who migrated Pegu -
after it was attacked by the Burmese King Alaungpaya (r.1752-1760) - in the outskirts of the capital at the village of Pho Sam Ton.
Furthermore, Phraya or Phra Ram, Phraya Klang Müang, and over four hundred followers of Saming Thò, were routed and fled on
in to seek the protection of the Holy Royal Accumulation of Merit by way of the Municipality of Tak. They were directed to establish
homes at the Three Fig Trees. 
Wat Hong is situated in Geo Coord: 14° 24' 28.99" N, +100° 32' 59.65" E.
(1) หงส์ means "swan" in the Thai language, but as it was derived from the Sanskrit word "hamsa" it is often considered also to be a goose.
 The Wheel of The Law - Henry Alabaster (1871) - Trubner & Co, London - Page 299.
 The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya - Richard D. Cushman (2006) - page 446 / Source: Phan Canthanumat, British Museum & Royal Autograph
- Mon Refugees Flee to Ayutthaya.
|Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - December 2012