|WAT PHRA NON 2 (วัดพระนอน)
|Wat Phra Non or the Monastery of the Reclining Buddha was located off the city
island in the eastern area of Ayutthaya in Khlong Suan Phlu Sub-district.
Wat Chumphon stood on its western side, while Wat Kradok was situated on its eastern
side. The three monasteries could be accessed by the canals Khlong Suan Phlu, Khlong
Dusit and Khlong Wat Phra Non. Khlong Wat Pra Non passed south of the three
Historical data about the monastery and its construction is unknown.
In the Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya there is a possible reference to this temple site. 
During the year 1654, a feud occurred in the royal family of Cambodia. The King Preah
Bat Somdet Ramathipadi I (Ponhea Chan - r.1642-1658) and Prince Prea-ang Em on
one side, and the princes Prea-Batom-Rachéa and Prea-ang Tan on the other, called in
their partisans and started a war. The latter two, aided by a strong Ayutthayan army,
The Nguyen Prince Hien Vuong (1649-1686), Emperor of the South was called in by the
Annamese widow of the former King Chey Chettha II (Ponhea Nhom r.1618-1628) on
the side of the latter two princes and in 1658 the Nguyen Emperor sent in an army under
the Governor of Phu Yen, General Ong Chieng Thu. Prince Prea-ang Em was killed in
battle and King Ponhea Chan was taken prisoner, brought to Cochin China in an iron
cage, were he died at the age of 40 (1). There after, in 1658 Prince Prea-Batom-Rachéa
came to the throne as King Preah Bat Somdet Borom Reachea V (r.1658–1672). In
1659, the sons of the captive King Ponhea Chan, being Prea-ang Ni, Prea-ang Outey
and Prea-ang Am, seeked a safe haven in Ayutthaya together with the old Court of their
father, the Priest Prea-Soccon and 2200 people of all ranks. (2)  
[BC: In][DEF: During] 1021  of the Era, a year of the boar, first of the
decade, Luang Kamroep Phra Phrai, Luang Cong Racha, Luang Som, Luang
Ratcha Kuman, Luang Ratcha Sena, Luang Sena Wichai and their khun and mün
together with their braves - two thousand, two hundred and fourteen people -
[BCEF: immigrated] [D: migrated] to be under the Holy Royal Accumulation of
Merit. And all these - the Patriarch Sukhon, who had been a relative and supporter
of Nak Can, together with Nak Ni and Nak Wara Uthai and Nak Am, who were his
nephews - being unable to find a haven, led [C: all] their [BDEF: various]
supporters in to be under the Holy Royal Accumulation of Merit. The King
manifested His holy compassion by being pleased to make holy royal gifts of all the
receptacle [BDEF: and utensil] paraphernalia to the Patriarch Sukhon [BCDE: .
And] [F: and to] all of his relatives and supporters [BCDE: who had come to be
under the Holy Royal Accumulation of Merit, all without exception received holy
royal gifts in their turn]. Now the Patriarch Sukhon was allowed to reside [BCEF:
on] [D: upon] the grounds of the Monastery of the Reclining Monk close by the
grounds of the Monastery of [BCDE: Caophraya] [F: Phraya] Thai. 
Wat Phra Non was situated on the southern edge of what is believed to have been a
Khmer baray, an ancient artificial reservoir, dating back to the pre-Ayutthaya time. Baray
were situated in close vicinity of a Khmer sanctuary. This Khmer sanctuary is believed to
have been located on the site of present Wat Yai Chai Mongkhon. The Khmer ruled
over this area from the early 11th century until the mid-13th century from Lavo
(Lopburi). The pre-Ayutthaya outpost here was known as Ayodhya Pura.
The site is indicated on Fine Arts Department maps. Some remains of the temple were
excavated and partially restored by the Fine Arts Department (FAD) after the large flood
of 2011. The ruins of Wat Phra Non are located in geographical coordinates: 14° 20'
26.28" N, 100° 35' 19.78" E.
(1) There is another version, probably more accurate, stating that he was taken captive in
Cochin China, and transported with the loot and guns taken by the Annamese. He was
deported to Quang Binli and released and even replaced on the throne, on condition of
paying tribute to the lord of Hue and hand over Bien Hoa or Dong Nai. Finally he died
shortly after his return. 
(2) Dates of reign of the mentioned Cambodian kings are approximate. 1658 is the date
given by the Dutch of the Annamese occupation in whereby the Dutch Lodge in
Cambodia was pillaged and burned.
 Richard D. Cushman - The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya (2006) - page 248 /
Source: Phan Canthanumat, British Museum, Reverend Phonnarat, Phra
Cakkraphatdiphong & Royal Autograph - Immigration from Cambodia.
 J. Moura - Le Royaume du Cambodge - 2ieme Tome - Paris (1883) - page 63.
 Etienne Aymonier - Le Cambodge III - Le Groupe d'Angkor et l'Histoire - Paris
(1904) - page 775.
There is also another temple site with nearly a similar name called Wat Khok Phra Non
or the Monastery of the Mound of the Reclining Buddha situated in the immediate
vicinity of Wat Yai Chai Mongkhon (Wat Chao Phraya Thai).
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated March 2016
|(Detail of a 1974 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Dr. Surat Lertlum, Chulachomklao Royal
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)
|(Wat Phra Non - Photograph courtesy Sean Alcock)
|(Wat Phra Non - Photograph courtesy Sean Alcock)