|WAT KAMPHAENG 1 (วัดกำแพง)
|Wat Kamphaeng or the Monastery of the Wall is situated in the east of Ayutthaya on
the city island in Ho Ratana Chai district; south of Rojana Road and east of Khlong
Wat Suwan Dararam was on its south-eastern side, while Wat Tha Pho stood in the
The foundations of the monastery are buried under the present Buddhist shrine set in
Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.
Wat Kamphaeng is indicated on a map drafted in the mid-19th century and on Phraya
Boran Rachathanin's map of 1926.
The site is located in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 57.22" N, 100° 34' 38.29" E.
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - April 2009
Updated May 2014
|(View from the East)
|(View from the South)
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)