|WAT KHUN PHROM 2 (วัดขุนพรหม)
|Wat Khun Phrom or the Monastery of Brahma is an active temple located off the city
island in the southern area of Ayutthaya in Samphao Lom sub-district, village (Mu) 5.
The monastery is situated on the south bank of the old Lopburi River, at present the
Chao Phraya River (1).
Wat Nang Kui and Wat Pa Jak were situated on its east side; Wat Yi Kham on its west
The ordination hall is build in the Late Ayutthaya style (1629 - 1767 AD). The building
has the classic elevated front and back porches, with each four columns supporting the
roof. There are two entries in the front and in the back. The ubosot is 15 meters long by
5 meters in width. Behind the ubosot stood a chedi. A prayer hall was added in 1982.
Some monastic structures have been excavated in 1955. The monastery apparently was
built in 1557.
Historical data about the monastery is unknown.
Opposite Wat Khun Phrom was the mouth of Khlong Pratu Jin and its well known water
gate. A ferry connection existed from the Phraya Racha Wangsan landing at the mouth of
the canal to the landing of Wat Khun Phrom. This ferry is still in existence today. 
The temple is mentioned on a mid-19th century map as on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's
map drafted in 1926.
Wat Khun Phrom is located in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 46.59" N, 100° 34' 13.33" E.
(1) The Chao Phraya River has been deviated into the river bed of the old Lopburi River
in the post-Ayutthayan era anno 1857. See the essay: Ayutthaya's ever-changing
(2) In Ayutthayan times there were twenty-two ferry routes between the main land and
the city island. In the southern area, the five other crossings were: the crossing to Wat
Phanan Choeng, Tha Hoi to Wat Pa Jak, Tha Dan Chi to Wat Surintharam, Tha Chakrai
Noi to Wat Tha Rap and Tha Wang Chai to Wat Nak.  See "The Boat & Ferry
Landings of Ayutthaya".
 Athibai Phaenthi Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya kap khamwinitjai khong Phraya Boran
Racha Thanin - Explanation of the map of the Capital of Ayutthaya with a ruling of
Phraya Boran Rachathanin - Revised 2nd edition and Geography of the Ayutthaya
Kingdom - Ton Chabab print office - Nonthaburi (2007) - page 91.
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - February 2010
Updated May 2011, December 2014
|(View of the ubosot of Wat Khun Phrom)
|(Vihara at Wat Khun Phrom)
|(The old bell tower)
|(Boundary stone of the ordination hall or ubosot)
|(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N.)
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)