WAT PRASAT 1
or the "Monastery of the Castle (Tower)" was located on the city island in
the southern area at Pratu Chai sub-district, east of the
Somdet Phra Sri Nak
The monastery was situated between
Khlong Chakrai Yai
Khlong Chakrai Noi
stood along one of the most important streets of the city, being the
Maha Rathaya Street
also called Thanon Luang, a laterite paved road, about 12 meters wide, which ran
through the center of the capital and linked the
with the southern city gate.
Wat Prasat was located west of the temple cluster made by
Wat Khok Khemi
Wat Khok Yai Mi
The remnants of the temple stands on what is now the Ayutthaya Hospital. Only a large
octagonal base of a chedi in the classic Ayutthayan style and its toppled part are visible.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
The site is indicated on
Phraya Boran Rachathanin's (PBR) map
drafted in 1926. The
temple is situated north of what PBR mentions as Thanon Rong Krai (street).
Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2010
(Chedi from Wat Prasat, view from the east)
(View from the south)
(View from the north)