|WAT KHOK KHEMI (วัดโคกเคหมี)
|Wat Khok Khemi was located on the city island in the southern part of Ayutthaya in
Pratu Chai sub-district, east of the Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park.
The monastery was situated between Khlong Chakrai Yai, an extension of Khlong Tho
and Khlong Chakrai Noi.
It stood in the immediate vicinity of Wat Khok Khema and east of Wat Hip. Wat Prasat
stood on its east, while Wat Khok Yai Mi was situated in the south, most closest to the
present Chao Phraya River.
The temple stood once, what are now the premises of the Ayutthaya Hospital. There are
no traces anymore visible of the monastery above ground level.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
The site is indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's (PBR) map drafted in 1926. The
temple is situated north of what PBR mentions as Thanon Rong Krai (street). On his map
Wat Khok Khemi and Wat Khok Khema are situated in a cluster on a mound, as part of
their names indicates (Th: Khok = mound).
The author presumes that on a mid-19th century map this site and Wat Khok Khema are
indicated as Wat Noi (วัดน้อย).
Some remains of the temple were excavated by the Fine Arts Department (FAD) in Geo
Coord: 14° 20' 35.80" N, 100° 33' 34.99" E. (based on 2007 map).
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2010
Text review April 2011, July 2014
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 19th century map)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)