|KHLONG KUDI DAO (คลองกุฏีดาว)
|Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - March 2014
|Khlong Kudi Dao was a man-made short-cut canal running north-south and dug in a
loop of the Pa Sak River, which river bed became later Khlong Hantra. The canal is
today defunct, but some small stretches still can be seen.
The canal likely existed prior the establishment of Ayutthaya in 1351, as part of a
pre-Ayutthayan city outpost founded by the Khmer who ruled at Lopburi in the 11th
Century and held control over the central Chao Phraya River basin.
The canal in its northern extension was called Khlong Ayodhya, with its origin north of
Wat Dusitharam at Khlong Hantra.
Khlong Kudi Dao started at the crossing with Khlong Wat Pradu above Wat Kudi Dao
and ran further south into Khlong Kramang. The canal derived its name from the most
important temple along its canal bank.
On the west bank of Khlong Ayodhya stood Wat Kudi Dao, Wat Samana Kottharam,
Wat Khok and Wat Tha Phra; on its east bank Wat Khut Din, Wat Tuek, Wat Khao
Din, Wat Kuek and Wat Nang Kham.
|(View of a remnant of Khlong Kudi Dao)
|(View of the mouth of Khlong Kudi Dao at the
confluence with Khlong Kramang)